Re: [O] can't find org-version?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] can't find org-version?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 13:15:32 -0400

Christopher J. White <address@hidden> wrote:

> So in version 7.8 and earlier, org-version is both a variable and a
> function.  The function is not useful to coders because it displays
> the version string as a message:
>
> (org-version)
> "Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.437.g60ca.dirty)"
>
> org-version
> "7.8.03"
>
> I used org-version as a variable because there was an incompatibility
> between 7.7 and 7.8 for the function
> org-export-remove-or-extract-drawers.
>
> So, what is the proper way to get the version number in 7.9?  It seems
> awkward to me that all clients would have to require something other
> than just "org" to get the version number, but I can live with that.
>
> What I don't want to do, though, is mess around with testing for the
> existence of various functions and variables just to figure out where
> to get the version number from.

Disregard my previous email: in 7.7 (and maybe 7.8), org-version (the function)
does not return a simple "7.7".

Here is a snippet of code that works in those two and in 7.9.1 as well:

(setq version (if (boundp 'org-version)
                  org-version
                 (org-version))

It does not meet your requirements in the last paragraph above, but it's
not too bad.

I just hope that I haven't missed anything this time.

Nick