Re: [O] Do Groff letter modes work in latest git?

From: Luis Anaya
Subject: Re: [O] Do Groff letter modes work in latest git?
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:51:04 -0400

Myles English <address@hidden> writes:

> Following the announcement that writing letters was possible using the
> Groff exporter in this thread:

Yes, that's right...

> I decided to have a go but the resulting pdf does not look much like a
> letter, more like a memo, and the tags :FROM: :TO: etc are still visible
> in the text.  I was expecting a nicely formatted letter.

Which class were you using? Internal will look like a memo. Try the
#+GROFF_CLASS: block or #+GROFF_CLASS: semiblock

> 2. open an org document containing:
>
> #+AUTHOR: Mickey Mouse
> #+TITLE: Example from Worg
> #+GROFF_CLASS: letter

No, you want to use fullblock, block or semi block.
What happens with "letter" is that is a throwback from the Bell Labs in
which the Memo Type 5 was used for letters. It had to be made available
for sake of completeness.

But, the Groff MM folks created a separate set of macros for letter
writing in which within Org uses a separate class name.
These are simplified, semiblock, fullblock or block. Hopefully these
will give you are looking for.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--
Luis Anaya