Re: [O] Capturing to a list in a dynamic 2nd level heading

From: Christopher J. White
Subject: Re: [O] Capturing to a list in a dynamic 2nd level heading
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:50:09 -0400

Hi Simon,

I have a capture template that does almost exactly that, I just use a user entered subheading -- should be easy enough to tweak for your task.

When chosen as a capture option, it asks for a discussion context and looks up a 2nd level heading below "Discussion Items" matching that context. If it exists, it just adds to it. If not, it creates a new context at the end of the Discussion Items element. Note that you must create "Discussion Items" first, and it must be top-level.

...cj

Capture template:

  ("d" "Discussion Item" item
         (file+function
          "~/org/Todo.org"
          (lambda ()
            (let* ((ctxt (read-string "Discussion context: "))
                   (ctxt-pt
                     (condition-case msg
                         (org-find-olp (list "Discussion Items" ctxt) t)
                       (error nil))))
              (if ctxt-pt
                  (progn
                    (goto-char ctxt-pt)
                    (org-end-of-subtree)
                    (insert-string "\n"))
                (goto-char (org-find-olp (list "Discussion Items") t))
                (org-end-of-subtree)
                (insert-string (format "\n** %s\n" ctxt)))))))