Re: [O] my capture template generates a literal "%?"

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] my capture template generates a literal "%?"
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:35:46 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> > G <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am using Emacs 24.1 in Win7 (64bit) and Org 7.8.11.
> > > I would like to have a capture template that just puts me at the end
> > > of my journal in plain text (although date tree) after a custom time
> > > stamp (e.g. 09:13). I tried the following
> > >     ("p" "Plain Journal" plain (file+datetree
> > > "C:/Users/Geralb/Documents/privat/org/MyAgenda.org")
> > >          "%<%H:%M>\n\n%?"
> > >      :unnarrowed t :empty-lines 1)
> > >
> > > But in this template a literal %? is written and point is thereafter.
> > >
> > > I tried another template
> > >     ("e" "Entry Journal" entry (file+datetree
> > > "C:/Users/Geralb/Documents/privat/org/MyAgenda.org")
> > >          "* Um %U von %a\n\n%?\n"
> > >      :empty-lines 1 :unnarrowed t)
> > >
> > > And this seems to work, but it's not what I would like to have.
> > >
> > > Did I write the template wrong?
> > >

> > I don't think so. I can reproduce it and I think it is a bug: %? does
> > not seem to be interpreted in the first case, it is interpreted in the
> > second case, but I don't know what causes the difference.
> >

> D'oh: plain type just inserts things literally. Need more coffee.

D'oh^2: everything else is interpreted, so why not %? ?

The problem seems to be in org-capture-place-plain-text: the insertion
of the text happens like this

,----
|     (setq beg (point))
|     (insert txt)
|     (org-capture-empty-lines-after 1)
|     (org-capture-position-for-last-stored beg)
|     (setq end (point))
|     (org-capture-mark-kill-region beg (1- end))
|     (org-capture-narrow beg (1- end))
|     (if (re-search-forward "%\\?" end t) (replace-match ""))))
`----

but it seesm that just before the re-search-forward, point is at
end, not at beg, so the search is fruitless. We could search backwards
to beg instead (but what is the semantics of multiple %? markers in the
template?), or we could just (goto-char beg) before the search.

Nick