Re: [O] org-capture: keeping window visible during date entry

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] org-capture: keeping window visible during date entry
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:17:30 +0200

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Groth <address@hidden> writes:

> I would say that a proper solution would be to reserve
> delete-other-windows for interactive use and to replace it by something
> more sensible which ensures that a given window is well visible but
> tries to preserve the visibility and arrangement other windows if
> possible.  That hypothetical function could be given the minimum
> required height for the current window.
>
> Does anyone know of such functionality already existing anywhere in the
> emacs world?

There is `maximize-window'.

If you want to work on a patch that uses `maximize-window' in places
where you think it should replace `delete-other-windows', please do.
But I think ̀€delete-other-windows' is fine in most cases.

> If not, I believe it would be useful to think of something
> like this.  Given current screen sizes, it would be good to replace most
> uses of delete-other-windows by something more gentle.  But this is a
> topic for the general emacs mailing list.

Yep, why not.

I'm archiving Eric's patch for now.  Let's raise this issue again if we
can more precisely define what's wrong with the current behavior.

--
 Bastien