Re: [O] Installation via el-get: info not added correctly

From: Mike McLean
Subject: Re: [O] Installation via el-get: info not added correctly
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:13:55 -0400

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
Markus Baden writes:
> I just installed org-mode via the recipe provided with the current
> development version of el-get [1]. Org-Mode is installed correctly
> into emacs.d/el-get/org-mode and the docs can be found in the doc
> subfolder. The recipe [2] adds the doc to the info via the :info "doc"
> property. However, when going to the info browser with C-h i the
> org-mode docs cannot be found. In the doc subfolder there is a file
> called "org" (no filename extension), which looks like the info file.
> After doing a "cp org org.info" the org-mode info shows up in the info
> browser.

El-get for whatever reason seems to think that all info files have a
".info" suffix, but they appear to never check if that assumption is
true.  I don't understand how they set up the info tree further on from
looking at the sources.  File a bug report for el-get I'd say.

Looking at this a bit this morning, I'm not sure that it is el-get (at least alone) that is insisting on the .info suffix. The portion of elisp in el-get that adds the .info suffix:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(if (string= (substring infofile -5) ".info")
    infofile
    (concat infofile ".info"))
#+end_src

(Side note, I did try a work around, https://github.com/SkydiveMike/el-get/commit/88920c84bbe4d814bae1e79cdda163315d8d8d24 that doesn't work).

Is only called if the ~dir~' file does not exist (and other conditions) and as part of creating a command string for ~/usr/bin/install-info~. Since an non-built (no execution of ~make~) Org mode Git clone has a ~dir~ file, this code is never called.

I also don't believe that ~cp org org.info~ in ~$HOME/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/~ fixes things (I currently can't get the correct info to display using that).