Re: [O] A bit of work around org-clock-idle-time

From: Nicolas Calderon
Subject: Re: [O] A bit of work around org-clock-idle-time
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 05:30:41 -0400

Sorry, I forgot to reply to all when Nicolas D. answered the first
email and took it off the list. Here is what you missed regarding
org-clock.el:

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nicolas Calderon <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> As for the max solution for idle time, I don't think it's a good
>> solution. It solves the case where x11idle always return 0, but if
>> you're active in X (x11idle always low) but not in emacs (high idle
>> time), you'll end up in clock resolving mode.
>>

> Fair enough, but it can still be done so as to simulate today's behavior
> while avoiding the 0 case. Something like
>
>   ((eq window-system 'x)
>      (let ((idle (org-x11-idle-seconds)))
>         (if (> idle 0)
>             idle
>           (org-emacs-idle-seconds))))

The problem I see here is that 0 is a valid output for x11idle, so if
the check is done while X11 is not idle, it will fall back to
org-emacs-idle-seconds. From what I could see in the
shell-command-to-string, there is no way to tell between an output
from the program and the 0 the function returns if there is no output
(can't find the command). That's why I added the additional check for
the command existence.

Optimally, that check would be done once at startup or the first time
idle time is checked but I lack the elisp skills to perform such a
"feat".

That being said, the patch was merged in, so I don't know if it's an
indication that I should not worry.

Thanks,

--
Nicolas Calderon