Re: [O] Frame subtitles with org-e-beamer

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Frame subtitles with org-e-beamer
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:53:07 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 01:30:51PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > In the old beamer backend it was possible to provide a subtitle by
> > having a headline like this:
> >
> > * Frame title \\ frame subtitle
> >
> > In the new exporter this feature seems to be missing. Can this be
> > added?
>
> I didn't include this "feature" because I wasn't comfortable with
> introducing a new syntax specific to one back-end only.

I think that is a fair argument.

> It's just a matter of doing:

> * Frame title
>
>   #+BEAMER: \framesubtitle{subtitle}

This is how I worked around recently. This has a downside though, it
doesn't let you easily use markup in the subtitle (in my case I wanted
to use =keyword=). Of course this can be resolved by putting in by hand.

> Otherwise, headlines could support a :BEAMER_SUBTITLE: property which
> would just do that.

Same goes here, but I would say the #+BEAMER: solution is better in
comparison. A subtitle is still part of the title, that means it
probably should be easily visible.

Given my above comment about visibility, one might then argue having a
#+BEAMER: line does not serve that purpose either when the headline is
folded. I'm not sure what is more important here, consistency between
backends[1] or readability/usability(?). It would be interesting to hear
what others think about this.

Hopefully I was clear.

Cheers,

Footnotes:

[1] IMO, an important reason for using org is backend agnostic markup.

--
Suvayu