Re: [O] [OT] Configuring bbdb 3

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:52:21 +0800

On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since I'm spending more and more time in Emacs, mostly in org mode, I
> moved my email reading and writing there. Everything is happily
> configured (I'm using gnus), with one exception: email address
> completion. I've read a few things online and it seems that bbdb is the
> way to go, so I compiled and installed bbdb 3. Unfortunately I could not
> find any configuration example online (the ones I found were for bbdb 2,
> but things seem to have changed a lot, and the conversion guide in the
> emacswiki did not help).
>
> I know this is off topic for this list, but if someone would be willing
> to share his configuration, I would very much appreciate it. (I'm not
> aiming for much: I want the addresses of messages I read to be added
> automatically in bbdb, and to be able to complete from them when writing
> a message.)

In BBDB 3, `bbdb-complete-mail' is the function that takes the string
before point and tries to turn it into something suitable for the "To"
header of the message. In message-mode, with BBDB activated, TAB is
bound to something that eventually calls `bbdb-complete-mail' (actually
uses `bbdb-complete-name', which is deprecated and aliased to
`bbdb-complete-mail').

So, depending on how you're writing your messages in org, you could bind
a convenient key to `bbdb-complete-mail', or overload TAB or something
else so that it checks if you're in the appropriate field, and then does
`bbdb-compelete-mail'.

For adding records automatically to BBDB, you say you're using gnus, but
also say you've moved your email reading to org. Where are you that
you'd like to automatically add the record? In gnus, I've bound ";" to
`bbdb-mua-edit-field-sender', and also have this:

(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))

If I hit ";" on a message, it will show me the records for all the
addresses in the To and CC headers (possibly headers too), and if I
don't have records for any of those headers, it will ask me if I want to
create records. That's the way I like it, you can look at the possible
values for `bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p' to get different behaviors.

If you're actually reading your mail in org and want to create records
from there, it might be more complicated, as the BBDB creation functions
seem pretty tied to you being in a MUA of some sort…

Hope that's useful,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-07-23 on pellet