Re: [O] Feature that org mode needs most

From: Joseph Thomas
Subject: Re: [O] Feature that org mode needs most
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:01:26 -0400

Giovanni, thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I had learned about the idle time feature from the info docs when I first started using org.  The reason this solution won't work for me though is that, if I understand correctly, it would only apply in scenarios where   my emacs session detects inactivity for the configured amount of time, like when I leave my desk.  If so, this doesn't cover the scenarios where I begin working on a new task at my computer but forget to clock-in to the new task in org (about 60% of the cases where I forget).

However, I reviewed your other suggestions.  I did download the latest snapshot of org from git, but as I need to maintain my todo.in NT emacs at work, I don't have make and so just hacked my config by replacing the emacs 23.4.1 distribution org .el files with the current ones.   I needed to comment out the org-version.el warning, but otherwise everything seems to work fine.  The new "v c" agenda view is great!  Very useful.

It appears for those like myself that what will work best under the latest functionality is the following use case, which I tested a little while ago:  In my forget-to-clock-in-to-new-task scenario,
1. I use org-resolve-clocks, with the "K" option.
2. I then specify the number of minutes that passed since I forgot.
3. Clock in to the new task.
4. Org kindly asks me if I would like to clock-in but adjusting for the same amount of minutes.

This solution best best allows me to keep accurate clocks without disrupting focus on my current activity, and will already make a big difference going forward.  If, in the future though, you implemented S-up and S-down functionality so that it adjusted current and previous clocks simultaneously (or at least the ability to turn this on as an option), I would be your biggest fan :)

Regards,
Joe