Re: [O] Org mode export to Groff MM. Feature Freeze

From: Luis Anaya
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode export to Groff MM. Feature Freeze
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:50:32 -0400

Avdi Grimm <address@hidden> writes:

> Does this mean that creating manpages from org source is now a
> possibility?

Hmm...

Not right now... berause of the different macro package that man pages uses
for rendering compared to the one used in Org which is based on the MM
package.

However, one thing that got me thinking was to implement exporters for
other  macro packages, like MOM and MS being that they
follow similar structure.  The reason why I think this is useful is
because each macro language is geared for a slightly different purpose.

IMHO:
  - MM is for business communications
  - MOM for literary writings
  - MS for general typesetting. (Word grinder uses it for rendering )
  - MAN well, for man pages :)

The MAN macro package uses different commands for typesetting
even though is processed through GROFF. But many of the structure are
shared among all macros package and there is always the option to use
straight GROFF commands.  Even though is an idea on how to use Org mode,

I have never thought of using it for writing MAN pages. I'm
not sure how many people would; but the idea does
not have merit and certainly deserves some thought.

But... before going all crazy, probably I want to make sure that the one
I wrote for MM works well before venturing into coding for other macro
packages. It would make porting to those packages a lot easier.

Something else to consider, if you're inclined to.

It might be easier to implement a typesetter for MAN pages in muse mode
because it has a simpler rendering framework.  It may also be a more
appropriate platform considering that MAN pages do not have a lot of
formatting requirements, when they are compared to a document
with multiple levels, lists, equations and graphics which is what you
find in papers, letters or memorandum.

Luis

--
Luis Anaya