Re: [O] Suggested change to Manual 3.5.9 example table

From: Charles
Subject: Re: [O] Suggested change to Manual 3.5.9 example table
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:23:18 -0400

On 7/11/2012 10:26 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Charles <address@hidden> wrote:
I have searched the news groups concerning this and found nothing.

I am attempting to learn the advance features for tables and could not
understand 29.7 as the result for $at=vmean(@address@hidden);%.1f.

I copied the table and formulas into a scratch org file, changed the
floating point to .2f and the result was 25.00, which I believe is correct.
I changed it back to .1f and 25.0 was the result.

Is the result as given in the manual supposed to demonstrate some concept
that is not evident to me?

It's a C-style format specifier. Take a look in the following link for
a more comprehensive description.

<http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdio/printf/>

Suvaya and others on the list,

I was not specific, as a matter of fact I may have been deliberately abstruse - that was not called for. All I was trying to say that example should be corrected since it is confusing.

Since it appeared that the mean should be 25 rather than 29.7 I changed the decimal places in the format specifier and recomputed the entire table. It seemed easier to do that than change any of the fields in the table.

Thank you for consideration and for the link.

Charlie Millar