Re: [O] [ANN] Beamer back-end for org-export in contrib/

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Beamer back-end for org-export in contrib/
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 03:30:10 +0200

Hello Nicolas,

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> This should be possible with `org-e-beamer-environments-extra', i.e.
>
>   (add-to-list 'org-e-beamer-environments-extra
>                '("onlyenv" "O" "\\begin{onlyenv}%a" "\\end{onlyenv}"))
>
> Then you set headline's BEAMER_env property to onlyenv and modify
> BEAMER_act accordingly.

Thanks! This works very well. :)

>>> Every plain list has support for `:overlay' attribute (through
>>> ATTR_BEAMER affiliated keyword).  Also, ordered (resp. description)
>>> lists make use of `:template' (resp. `:long-text') attribute.
>>>

>> I wasn't clear what you meant here. Could you give an example? Did you
>> mean I can specify overlay specification for list items with the above
>> mechanism? I'm not clear on the syntax here.
>
> These attributes modify the whole list. To set overlays for individual
> items, use export snippets. Examples follow:
>
>   #+ATTR_BEAMER: :template "i)" :overlay "<+->"

Again this works beautifully!

>> I have another feature request (for the distant future) with regards to
>> lists; I would like to put tikz nodes in list items. I have tried that
>> in the past with very limited success. For an example, you can look
>> here:
>>
>> <http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/connecting-text-and-graphics/>
>
> Again, export snippets should allow this. To obtain:
>
>   \begin{itemize}
>   \item Anode \tikz[na] \coordinate (s-anode);
>   \item Cathode \tikz[na] \coordinate (s-cathode);
>   \item Saline bridge \tikz[na] \coordinate (s-bridge);
>   \end{itemize}
>
> You can write:
>
>   - Anode @@e-beamer:\tikz[na] \coordinate (s-anode);@@
>   - Cathode @@e-beamer:\tikz[na] \coordinate (s-cathode);@@
>   - Anode @@e-beamer:\tikz[na] \coordinate (s-bridge);@@

Again, works just right!

>> I have a question; are subtree exports supported yet?
>
> I think so. Have you tested them?

This however didn't work for me. Since the beamer export is not in the
dispatcher yet, I tried the following:

  * Lifetime acceptance WG update
    :PROPERTIES:
    :LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
    :LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation,smaller]
    :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: WG_update.pdf
    :EXPORT_AUTHOR: Suvayu Ali
    :EXPORT_DATE: 05 June, 2012
    :EXPORT_OPTIONS: H:1 num:nil toc:nil ^:{}
    :END:

  ** Frame title 1

  M-: (org-e-beamer-export-to-pdf t)

The exported latex source however has the following:

  \documentclass[11pt]{article}

instead of

  \documentclass[smaller,presentation]{beamer}

Everything else in the exported tex file seemed correct though. However
I will have to admit I did not do this in a minimal Emacs instance. If
you can't reproduce the issue, I'll try to work up an ECM in a minimal
Emacs instance.

I would also like to work on some user documentation for the beamer
backend (when I do find some free time :-p). I see that org-e-beamer.el
is very well commented so I will start there, but do you have any other
pointers that might help me clearly document the supported features?

I was thinking of starting as a Worg page and then moving to the texinfo
docs once org-export moves from contrib to core. Do you, or anyone else
for that matter, have any thoughts on this? What would an appropriate
location for such a page?

> Thank you for testing the back-end.

I am doing this out of selfish reasons. ;) After all, a better beamer
export makes my life easier. :)

Cheers,

--
Suvayu