Re: [O] Toggle between active and inactive timestamp in CLOCK line does

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Toggle between active and inactive timestamp in CLOCK line does not make sense
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:25:39 +0200

* Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,

Hallo Reiner!

> having a CLOCK line: (example)
>        [2012-06-26 Di 11:00]   CLOCK: [2012-06-26 Di 11:00]--[2012-06-26 Di
> 12:00] =>  1:00
>
> many times I do adjust the timestamps.
> Unintentionally having point on "]" and or "[" instead of the minute part of
> the timestamp
> and shifting up or down in order to increase or decrease the timestamp the
> keypress switches the "]" to ">"
> and the "[" to "<".
>
> I would suggest to stop this behaviour, as it does not make sense in a CLOCK
> line.

I suggest to keep this behavior because:

- it is consistent: being on brackets change the type.
  Everywhere, not just outside of CLOCK lines.

- Org-mode changes the timestamp according to the position of the
  cursor: on year it changes the year, on month it changes the
  month, on day it changes the day, on hour it changes the hour, on
  minute it changes the minutes (in 5 minutes steps). On the
  bracket, it changes the type.

I really do not intend to offend you but you should simply position
your cursor more carefully since changing timestamps simply is
related to that position as described above.

Or maybe there is a variable which could deactivate timestamp type
change behavior in general.

You might be right with «Toggle between active and inactive
timestamp in CLOCK line does not make sense» but I do think that
«the toggle mechanism to change timestamp type behaves consistently
everywhere» is more important here.

--
Karl Voit