Re: [O] text to plain list

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] text to plain list
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:39:10 -0400

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Marvin Doyley <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>=20
> >> Is there quick method for converting a bunch of text to plain list ?=C2=
> =A0
> >>=20
> >
> > Something like
> >
> > sed 's/^/- /' in.txt > out.txt
> >
> > perhaps? If that's not what you mean, what do you mean?
> >

> I find Emacs Macros work very well for this.
>
> 1) position the cursor at the front of the first line
> 2) C-x (       to start recording a macro
> 3) manually turn this item into a list
> 4) position the cursor at the front of the next line
> 5) C-x )       to finish recording a macro
> 6) X-e         to run the macro on the second item
>
> after that you may continue pressing "e" to re-run the macro, or run the
> macro any number of times with a numeric prefix argument.  This does
> however require some regularity in your list items.

Yes, there are many methods (both emacs and otherwise; and in the event,
William Léchelle's suggestion of C-u C-c - was what Marvin was looking
for): my question was more to try to elicit what the problem was
exactly, rather than as a solution. [fn:1]

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] ... although it is good to remind oneself once in a while that
       org files are just text, so one is not limited to emacs in order
       to manipulate them.