[O] Beginner's question

From: Neuwirth Erich
Subject: [O] Beginner's question
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:11:15 +0200

I am using R.
I am combining large data frames, and I am getting into memory problems.

Therefore I would like to to this in separate steps and  after each step the R
process should be closed to free memory.
When I do not use the :session argument for the code blocks, it seems that the
R process is terminated
after the code is run.

I also tried to use separate sessions to achieve what I want and in each code
block I used
quit(save="no")
at the end.
That did not work.

I would like to use a piece of initialization code in each of these code blocks
but could not
find an understandable example how to use name code blocks and noweb references
to achieve this. Or can I do out with #+name: and a :var header argument?

Is there a way to do this?

I tried to understand :var with the following example
The first code block is from the docs and it works.
The second is by me and it does not work.
Can anybody explain why my example does not work?

#+TBLNAME: example-table
|1|
|2|
|3|
|4|
#+NAME: table-length
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=example-table
(length table)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: table-length
: 4

#+name: xvar
123

#+name: myblock
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var xxx=xvar
(* xxx xxx)
#+end_src

I need to pass string constants and numeric values o code segments this way.