Re: [O] Selective export of Babel code blocks

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Selective export of Babel code blocks
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 07:11:29 -1000

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> I recently started a paper using Babel in a more full-functioned way
> to display both R code as well as output. Previously I've just used
> the convenience of headings and src blocks to create R plots and have
> the code stored nicely for future reference. I'm exporting via LaTeX
> to create something to promote R and why it's awesome in conjunction
> with org-mode at work, which is a Minitab environment. Thus, I'd like
> to include actual R code to familiarize others. On with the problem.
> I'm also using tikzDevice. Thus, my paper so far is about like so:
>
> ----------
> * Plotting this vs. that
>
> Not we'll plot this vs. that. Here's the R code:
>
> #+begin_src R :exports none
>   tikzDevice("file.tex", width=6, height=4, standAlone=T)
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src R :exports both
>   data <- read.csv("file.csv", header=T)
>   sub <- subset(data, output > 5)
>   ggplot(sub, aes(x=x, y=y)) + geom_point()
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src R :exports none
>   dev.off()
>   tools::texi2pdf("file.tex")
> #+end_src
> ----------
>
> Anyway, something like this. This isn't a huge poroblem... I'm
> generating a lot of the same type of scatterplot just using different
> variables, so I can copy and yank the blocks and just change
> variable/file names. Doing this got me to thinking how it would be
> quite neat to run code in a block but mark it to be omitted from
> export for these kind of "setup" lines that are necessary for the
> desired graphs but unnecessary for your reader to see over and over
> again.
>
> Thoughts? I'm quite a novice and very possibly missed something that
> can already do this.
>

> Thanks!
> John

Hi John,

One way to do this might be to name the source code block and then use
an #+CALL: line.

#+name: clean-up
#+begin_src R :exports code
  dev.off()
  tools::texi2pdf("file.tex")
#+end_src

#+CALL: clean-up() :exports none

This way, the original code block will be exported and subsequent calls
should not be.

hth,
Tom

--