[O] Updating info files

From: Mike Fitzgerald
Subject: [O] Updating info files
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:02:37 -0500

Windows 7, EMACS 23.4

I tried this in my .emacs to update info files

;; Info directory
(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
             (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.11/doc)"))

As recommended here.
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html

C-h i still brings up the old info files.

files are there:

org.pdf
rg.texi
rgcard.pdf
rgcard.tex
rgcard_letter.pdf
rgguide.pdf
rgguide.texi

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Mike Fitzgerald <address@hidden> wrote:

> Great!
> Followed your latest recommendations and all seems well.

Glad to hear it.

> A couple of things:
>
> 1) The defun
>
> (defun my/compile-org(&optional directory)
>   "Compile all *.el files that come with org-mode."
>
> is at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html.

Yeah, Achim pointed it out, so I added a warning to stay away from it for now.

> 2) The org mode update info on the net is confusing to me.

You might want to post a note to the list (as detailed as possible
please!) about this. There is always room for improvement in this area.

> 3) The command (require 'org-capture) does not appear anywhere on http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Capture
> Which is the most offcical looking page has capture stuff.
> Seems that it should be near the top.
> Tried re-running without (require 'org-capture)  and it still works.
> Another package must be loading it.

It's probably not necessary, just paranoia on my part.

> 4) Is there a pain free way to get org mode info files updated?

My preference is to initialize the environment variable INFOPATH to point
to the various directories that contain info files that I'm interested in
(in addition to the standard ones). That might or might not work well for
you on windows though.

> 5) How 2 byte compile?
> (perhaps it does not need byte compile, seems fast enough)

I almost always run without byte-compilation (mostly because I don't
really use org-mode to its fullest potential, but I often end up
debugging things: org-mode is more a hobby for me, not so much a
productivity tool).

You will probably want to learn enough about git and the repo eventually
and use that to (frequently!) update your installation, because org is a
fast moving target and eventually you will lust after the latest and
greatest feature which only exists on the bleeding edge version; but
that will mean that you probably will want to install a make tool on
windows: it's too much of a pain otherwise.

> Thanks 4 being responsive and a clean dispo.

Getting over the initial hump is the biggest obstacle new users face,
so I try to help them do that.

Nick