Re: [O] Annoying behavior of RET after a timestamp

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Annoying behavior of RET after a timestamp
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:43:50 -0500

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I haven't gone to gmane looking for the discussion, but if one of the
>> > principals involved remembers the reason, maybe they can enlighten us.
>> >

>> I found the discussion on gmane - check the thread starting at
>>
>>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/45243
>>

> Having read the discussion, I agree with Nicolas and disagree with Matt
> and Bastien :-)

Let me chime in here: I agree that the new behavior (i.e., following a
link with return) is unworkable with the current definition of
org-at-timestamp-p.

My concern in the previous thread was to preserved what I viewed as a
convenience that dated back to the earliest days of org: i.e., being
able to change timestamps quickly with the S-arrow keys. I would still
prefer to retain a "wide" definition of timestamps for the S-arrow keys.

But if a little traditional usability is lost for the sake of
consistency, then we should change org-at-timestamp-p. (And Nicolas has
done heroic work in bringing consistency to the definition of various
org elements!)

Best,
Matt