Re: [O] Why doesn't this calc org-babel code work?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Why doesn't this calc org-babel code work?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 10:35:25 -0600

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> I guess what I'm saying is that assignment would be really nice.
> However, I'm now seeing that this would take a lot of work.
>
> What I'd really like to do is something like the following:
>
> # Total BS financial projection, don't read into this at all
> #+BEGIN_SRC calc
> derp_expenses := 1234
> derp_income := 4315
>
> monthly_balance := derp_income - derp_expenses
> monthly_balance =>
> monthly_balance * 12 =>
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : monthly_balance => 3081
> : monthly_balance * 12 => 36972
>
> I guess I could use calc embedded mode, but I haven't figured out how to
> do that yet. ;)

Using variable names without underscores will get you closer to the
functionality you are after as in the following.

#+BEGIN_SRC calc :var expenses=1234 :var income=4321
  12*(income-expenses)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 37044

However, code blocks are used more like regular stack calc mode as in
the following example.

#+begin_src calc
24
3
'/
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 8

If you'd rather write something looking more like your example, I'd
recommend either using any programming language with nice simple syntax,
e.g.,

#+BEGIN_SRC python :var derp_expenses=1234 :var derp_income=4315
  monthly_balance=derp_income - derp_expenses
  return monthly_balance*12
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 36972