Re: [O] #+STARTUP: showstars

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] #+STARTUP: showstars
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 09:30:15 +0200

Hi all

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Mark E. Shoulson <address@hidden> wrote:
> OP's requested fix: change the syntax so that a line which begins with N
> spaces followed by a star and then more spaces after that acts as if the N
> start of the line should be a third-level headline, as if it started with
> ***.

It seems that Org fileconversion, which does exactly this with
hidestarsfile and which I announced on the list here with four posts
spread over February, did not yet get through the noise. Even though I
asked some questions then. :-(

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/51981

> I _guess_ one could try defining something like a NO-BREAK-SPACE character
> to behave like a star at the beginning of the line when it comes to
> determining headlines, so you basically have a character that *looks* blank
> you can use for the non-final stars,

This is a nice idea and I just added it to fileconversion 0.6 as
nbspstarsfile. With the small generalization of fileconversion I did
some time ago to cover also markdown headlines (Peter Salazar, any
feedback?) it was very easy to extend it also to nbspstarsfile:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#fileconversion

For the #+STARTUP keyword now nbspstarsfile is used in favor of
showstars because I think it aligns better with the already existing
hidestars, hidestarsfile and markdownstarsfile.

Michael