Re: [O] #+STARTUP: showstars

From: Mark E. Shoulson
Subject: Re: [O] #+STARTUP: showstars
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 16:57:00 -0400

Enda <address@hidden> writes:
Otherwise is like in vi, the additional stars (like **, opposed to
<SPACE>*) are too noisy, and since I do not want to see them whether
it is in org-mode or in vi, etc, so I wondered was there a way to have
the file like

* first level heading
=C2=A0* second level heading
=C2=A0=C2=A0 * third level heading

There seems to be some confusion getting across. As I understand it, this is what the OP is after:

Problem: doesn't like the look of multiple *s for headline; prefers the look of hidestars-mode.

Furthermore, hidestars isn't good enough, because Enda wants the file *really to be like that*, without the stars there at all, so that it still looks good when being edited in vi or something. It needs to look like hidestars *all the time*, even outside of org, to avoid seeing the ****s.

OP, please let me know if I'm stating your position correctly.

Problem with requested fix: In addition to being a pretty major change to start with, it also already conflicts with established usage. A line that starts with spaces and then a star-space is considered an item in a plain list. Using *s for plain lists is discouraged, because of the potential confusion with headlines if there are no spaces before it, but it is permitted (and if it could have been dropped it would have been already). So, no, this isn't going to happen.

I _guess_ one could try defining something like a NO-BREAK-SPACE character to behave like a star at the beginning of the line when it comes to determining headlines, so you basically have a character that *looks* blank you can use for the non-final stars, but that would also be a pretty enormous change and I don't see it looking like a good move either.

I hope that accurately portrays the request (and responses thereto).

~mark