Re: [O] new (LaTeX) exporter and date formatting

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] new (LaTeX) exporter and date formatting
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:24:47 +0200

Hello,

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

> I am exporting a document containing dates like this inactive one
> [2011-10-17 Mo].
>
> I do not want to change the displaying of dates in org mode (as that
> breaks indentation and point movement).  But I'd like this to be
> exported as "Mo, 17.10.2011".  How do I do that?
>
> I found
> ,----
> | org-e-latex-inactive-timestamp-format is a variable defined in
> `org-e-latex.el'.
> | Its value is "\\textit{%s}"
> `----
> but I have no idea what to change that to or whether that is the correct
> place to achieve the different data format at all.

Since you want to change contents, and not only markup, this isn't the
correct place.

You can either add a filter in `org-export-filter-timestamp-functions',
or implement your own function to handle timestamp objects. If you
choose the latter, you can install the function in
`org-e-latex-translate-alist' to overwrite current latex exporter
behaviour, or use `org-export-define-derived-backend' to implement your
own back-end.

Assuming you want to overwrite current behaviour, something along the
lines of the following (untested) should do the work:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun my-e-latex-timestamp (timestamp contents info)
  (let ((value (org-translate-time (org-element-property :value timestamp))))
    (setq value
          (replace-regexp-in-string
           org-ts-regexp1
           (lambda (text)
             (concat (save-match-data (org-trim (match-string 5 value))) ", "
                     (substring text 0 (1- (match-beginning 5)))
                     (substring text (match-end 5))))
           value))
    (case (org-element-property :type timestamp)
      ((active active-range) (format org-e-latex-active-timestamp-format value))
      ((inactive inactive-range)
       (format org-e-latex-inactive-timestamp-format value))
      (otherwise (format org-e-latex-diary-timestamp-format value)))))

(add-to-list 'org-e-latex-translate-alist 'my-e-latex-timestamp)
#+end_src

> Side note:
> Ideally, in my opinion, the LaTeX-exporter would honor the
> "#+LANGUAGE: XX"
> setting and change the babel-settings accordingly

That seems reasonable. Is there any translation table between language
symbols and Babel options?

> and offer the option to format the date/time-stamps differently for
> different languages.

I won't bother doing this, but export engine internals probably permit
it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou