[O] "Smart" quotes

From: Mark E. Shoulson
Subject: [O] "Smart" quotes
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 23:32:26 -0400

(I seem to be winding up fixating on non-asciisms for org-mode; strange)

"Smart" quotes can be annoying when they aren't smart enough.  But when they work you can miss them.  I'm attaching a patch that defines a custom variable org-smart-quotes (nil by default), which when non-nil causes the " and ' characters to display as “smart” quotes, hopefully the right ones.  They're still ' and " in the underlying text, just overlaid with “”.

I started working on parallel patches on the export end (in the -e- files in contrib); it would really help org-mode's standing as a lightweight markup language, imo, but then I saw that's already underway; I had just looked in the wrong exports.

I also note that my post here dated May 9 (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/55756 ) has gone completely without comment, good or bad.  Did I miss something?  Did it not get through (it shows up on gmane)?  At least one of the changes submitted there I would think is pretty uncontroversial.

~mark