Re: [O] Org-mode repeating tasks issue

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode repeating tasks issue
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:06:26 -0400

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM, c b <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been using org-mode with emacs(23) for about a year now and love it.
>>
>> However, sometime in the last couple of weeks, I did a git pull  on the
>> master branch (and I redid the same today) and noticed that my recurring
>> tasks are broken.
>>
>> E.g.
>>
>> I have a task
>>
>> ** TODO Pay Creditcard bill
>>    DEADLINE: <2012-05-15 Tue +1m -7d>
>>
>> and when I marked it done, it changed state to DONE
>> ** DONE Pay Creditcard bill
>>    CLOSED: [2012-05-18 Fri 22:13] DEADLINE: <2012-05-15 Tue +1m -7d>
>>

>> I have been trying to figure out what went wrong, but am clueless. Any
>> pointers on what might be wrong, would be appreaciated.
>>

> I don't use this much, but have been contemplating it and thus the
> various org-mode pages on repeating tasks are somewhat fresh in my
> head. Here was my initial thought:
>
> - The org-mode manual itself on repeated tasks does not mention that
> kind of repeating task syntax
> --- http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html#Repeated-tasks
> --- Only +1, ++1, and .+1 are discussed
>
> - The /org-habit/ page, on the other hand, does mention such syntax
> (well, kind of)
> --- http://orgmode.org/manual/Tracking-your-habits.html
> --- Note that this page uses .+2d/4d syntax
>
> Anyway, I very likely missed something, but I can't find the specific
> syntax you're looking for in the manual sections above. If the
> functionality of org-habit /does/ do what you want, perhaps you could
> switch to that? If you use this syntax widely, that could be a pain.
>
> Let me know what you think? Also, please point to the documentation
> illustrating the +1m -7d usage. I'd like to see it as well as I'm
> curious about the various time stamp options.

DEADLINE: <2012-05-15 Tue -7d>
is a standard deadline with a 7 day warning period as defined in section
8.3 Deadlines and scheduling.

DEADLINE: <2012-05-15 Tue +1m -7d>

This just adds a monthly repeater to the syntax and is perfectly legal
syntax AFAIK.

This entry repeats normally for me.
Org-mode version 7.8.10 (release_7.8.10-578-g42f7ba @
/home/bernt/git/org-mode/lisp/)
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of 2010-12-11 on
raven, modified by Debian

Regards,
Bernt