Re: [O] Can't make org-install.el

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Can't make org-install.el
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 14:00:16 +0200

Sebastien Vauban writes:
> drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Seb Aucun     0 May 19 12:30 lisp
:           ^
:__________/

This tells you that in addition to the Cygwin permissions Windows ACL
are in effect.  These may partially or completely subvert the POSIX
permissions.  Since you've re-created the directory, these ACL are most
likely inherited ACL (applied from directories further up in the
hierarchy).

> Would it be possible to have a more detailed reporting of the problem?  For
> example, I don't understand why org-install.el should be read-only, while
> there was none before making autoloads... So, such a buffer has been
> created... but can't be saved?

Me neither and I've been using that same setup at work for months
without any such problems.  Only org-install.el seems to be read-only
however, while org-version.el (which is created by the same method) is
not, which makes this even more puzzling...  But here's one other oddity
in your log which may be able to explain it:

It looks like lisp (or all of org probably) is both under SVN and Git
version control... That is a Bad Idea™ and might explain why the buffer
becomes read-only if org-install.el is already registered in SVN (which
doesn't allow non-check-out files to be edited).  So can you please
remove the Git work tree completely from SVN or just install in a
pristine location?

> Other question: why do we have to make org-install.el?  Shouldn't it be
> distributed with the other files, without requiring all users to make it?

Because you use the sources and have to generate all the things that
need to be generated.  The generated files might be included in
distribution archives, Bastien and I are currently thinking about that.

Regards,
Achim.