Re: [O] Edit Links

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Edit Links
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:25:11 -0400

SW <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:
>
> > o ``C-c C-l'' is an org-mode keybinding to org-insert-link: it takes the
> >   saved information that org-store-link squirreled away and creates a
> >   link at your current location.
>
> Apologies. Yes, I am inserting a link with ``C-c C-l``, navigating to the file
> and then entering a description. When navigating to the file, autocompletion
> with ``TAB`` works.
>
> My query relates to editing that link, if, for example, I have moved the file
> in
> points to. Moving over the link and pressing ``C-c C-l`` again opens the
> mini-buffer populated with "file:/home/user/example.txt". However, when
> editing
> this link now, there is no autocompletion with ``TAB``.

Thanks! I can indeed reproduce your findings.  The behavior comes from
this snippet of code (part of org.el:org-insert-link):

    (cond
     (link-location) ; specified by arg, just use it.
     ((org-in-regexp org-bracket-link-regexp 1)
      ;; We do have a link at point, and we are going to edit it.
      (setq remove (list (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)))
      (setq desc (if (match-end 3) (org-match-string-no-properties 3)))
      (setq link (read-string "Link: "
                              (org-link-unescape
                               (org-match-string-no-properties 1)))))
     ((or (org-in-regexp org-angle-link-re)
          (org-in-regexp org-plain-link-re))
      ;; Convert to bracket link
      (setq remove (list (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0))
            link (read-string "Link: "
                              (org-remove-angle-brackets (match-string 0)))))
     ((member complete-file '((4) (16)))
      ;; Completing read for file names.
      (setq link (org-file-complete-link complete-file)))
     (t
      ;; Read link, with completion for stored links.
      (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Org Links*"
        (princ "Insert a link.
Use TAB to complete link prefixes, then RET for type-specific completion
support\n")

The default case is the last one, where the link is read interactively
from the minibuffer with TAB completion on link prefixes, followed by
RET for the type-specific completion support.

When you are editing an existing link, we get into the second cond
clause (the one with the comment " ;; We do have a link at point, and we
are going to edit it.") and that one uses a straight read-string with no
completion.

I suspect that's an oversight. Not sure how easy it is to fix (my hunch
is that it should be easy to transplant the completion code into the
second case, but I don't know for sure).

It seems like a worthy candidate for attention if only for consistency's
sake, but the maintainers will have the last word on that. They might be
more easily persuaded however, if you provide a patch to fix it ;-)

Nick