Re: [O] Feedback on org-collector Worg page

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Feedback on org-collector Worg page
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:41:08 -0400

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm happy to do the updating that might come out of these comments.
> Org-collector was recently mentioned on the mailing list and I took a
> second to play with it a bit by following the page on Worg.
> -- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-collector.html
>
> The location of the src table was not specified in the article. I
> found out after a bit of trial and error that the org-collector block
> will search only the previous headline and any children. Thus, one
> needs to be careful where the org-collector block is. To use the
> example on Worg, someone might create their financial tracker document
> like so:
>
> ----------
> * Statistics
> [bunch of org-collector blocks]
>
> * Raw Data
> ** Jan Purchases
> ** Feb Purchases
> ** Etc.
> ----------
>
> This would not work, as the org-collector blocks are only looking in
> the "* Statistics" headline. This is probably worth mentioning on Worg
> if I'm correct (again, I'm happy to do this). Either that, or perhaps
> the scope of the headlines searched could be changed if others find
> this undesirable. Or I've totally botched and don't have the right
> understanding and this is all a false alarm! :)
>
> Secondly, I was attempting to use this on my contacts.org file and
> kept getting errors. Probably a bad first start for a guinea pig file.
> I finally narrowed down that my :Phone: property in the form "(xxx)
> xxx.xxxx" was causing the error. It seems that properties with
> parentheses cause org-collector to try and run it as a function. If I
> add a property to the example file (call it "foo") and give it the
> value "(test)", I get the error on C-c C-c "(void-function test)".
>
> Comments?

Hi John,

I wrote the org-collector some years ago, but haven't used it in a long
time.  After a quick scan your comments look great, and I'm sure they
would improve the worg page, so please go ahead and make any changes you
see fit.  My one caveat is that you may want to (if you haven't already)
look through the org-collector.el file for comments, which may explain
some of the surprising behaviors.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte