Re: [O] More problems with orgstruct++-mode, message-mode and auto fill

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] More problems with orgstruct++-mode, message-mode and auto fill
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 11:26:11 +0200

Hi Sébastien,

perhaps the problem with filladapt was specific to Thorsten's
installation, it's hard to guess.

IMHO the real question is: what do you need filladapt for?

You wouldn't install a new software called Emacs-For-The-Real-Men just
because it advertizes itself as "Make a better job than Emacs"... unless
you can tell if this is true, and for what.

But I don't have /a priori/ concerns with anyone using filladapt.el, and
my advice was just to be taken as it is: a personal point of view.

My concern is "Should Org work even if people are shooting themselves in
the foot with libraries that are perhaps obsolete and that replace
fundamental variables of Emacs"?  The simple answer is: "Yes, if this is
both reasonable and feasible."

Regarding filladapt, if it really "does a better job" at filling, then
it should be somehow merged into Emacs.  For now, it replaces functions
like `do-auto-fill' and Org cannot really be expected to understand such
replacements done outside Emacs.

> Notice that I had to add:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>           ;; make `orgstruct-hijacker-command-22' rebind `M-q' to a message
>           ;; specific function to fill a paragraph
>           (setq fill-paragraph-function 'message-fill-paragraph)
> #+end_src

> a couple of weeks ago, because the filling did not behave anymore like it did.

That's why it "works" now.

You enable orgstruct++-mode but you don't use its `org-fill-paragraph'
function, you use `message-fill-paragraph' instead.  As for auto-filling,
you don't use `auto-fill-function', but filladapt's internal ̀do-auto-fill'
instead.

So, unless you really know why you need/enjoy filladapt, I think it's
not _that_ unreasonable not using it.

2 cents,

--
 Bastien