Re: [O] Custom time display in mode-line

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: [O] Custom time display in mode-line
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:46:03 +0000 (UTC)

Daniel Clemente <n142857 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
>   org-clock-modeline-total now accepts following values: current, today,
repeat, all, auto.
>   It would be useful to allow it to accept either a custom function or a
format string which composes a text
> string like:
> "0:10 (tot: 1:10/2:00)"
>   meaning: „clocking 10 minutes in this session, but the total clocked time
(including those 10min) is
> 1:10, and the effort estimate is 2:00“.
>
>   Not all entries have a „total clocked time“ (: entries clocked for the
> first
time) and not all entries
> have an estimate.
> - Either many format strings must be given (_simple, _with_total,
_with_estimate,
> _with_total_and_estimate), e.g. ("%current" "%current (tot: %total)"
"%current/%estimate"
> "%current (tot:%total/%estimate)")
> - … or we must cope with results like "0:10 (tot: /)"
> - … or a custom function must be used to do those conditionals.
>
>   Accepting a function would be like redefining org-clock-get-clock-string
> but
without touching org's core.

>   I tried to change the code but I'm confused as to why org-clock-modeline-
total (a mere
> visualization/„view“ setting) is read in org-clock-get-sum-start (which is a
„model“/core
> function and therefore not tied to any particular „view“). I think org-clock-
modeline-total
> should be read just in org-clock-get-clock-string.
>   Documentation of org-clock-get-clocked-time is also wrong („The time
returned includes the time
> spent on this task in previous clocking intervals.“) since this depends on
what
> org-clock-get-sum-start did.
>
> --
> Daniel

Hi,

I just started using org-clock, and that seems like a major issue (from an
emacs
user perspective, who is used to be able to modify everything that gets
displayed, especially such an important part). The code is a bit messy and I
don't understand everything, so I'm not able to write a patch for this, but can
someone look into that? Ideally, org-clock-modeline-total would be obsoleted
and
replaced by a org-clock-modeline-format that'd get passed to format-spec.