Re: [O] Makefile restructuring

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Makefile restructuring
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:34:43 +0200

suvayu ali writes:
> The above recipe works. But just "make", leaves the working tree without
> lisp/org-install.el. From the log I see it explicitly deletes it, but
> doesn't generate it again. A subsequent "make autoloads" is required to
> get a working org setup. Is this expected behaviour?

This is intentional.  The autoloads are generated just before
installing, since that's where they are needed.  I really don't want to
encourage further use of the git worktree as the "org installation",
although it sort of works if you do a "make autoloads".

You can now easily keep multiple installations within the org directory
if so desired (I do this myself for testing).  Using the worktree
instead can lead to very hard to track bugs when the autoload files get
out of sync with the sources.  This is the reason I always remove them
before compilation and I should probably remove them just after
installation as well.

> I thought a simple make should "cleanly compile Org ELisp files and
> documentation"?

Which is what it does.

Regards,
Achim.