Re: [O] Using '?' as a todo keyword?

From: Filippo A. Salustri
Subject: Re: [O] Using '?' as a todo keyword?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:28:36 -0400

If I only used big screens, I'd probably do as you do.
But I travel with an 11" Macbook Air and I use it at least half the time.
I have very few keywords - only about a dozen.
I wanted to use '?' as a general one in a generic org capture template.  That way I don't have to worry about setting a proper keyword during capture and I can just get the task down and move on.  Later, during review, the '?'s stand out against the other alpha keywords, drawing my attention to them.

Whatever.  Maybe I'll try it again once I've upgraded to 7.8.  It's not a showstopper.

Thanks again.
/fas

On 13 April 2012 16:22, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Filippo A. Salustri <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe I'm just being a little compulsive, but all my states are 1
> character long cuz that's all I really need to distinguish states
> (plus a little colour), and it frees up more of a line for the actual
> task.

OK - thanks. To each his/her own, I guess. I use long, mnemonic keywords
because I hate going back after six months and having to dig out the
meaning of some obscure reference out of the rubble of my
memory[fn:1]. org is one way to extend my memory so that by spending a
few seconds now, I don't have to waste frustrating minutes or hours in
the future. I also use big screens (256 columns or even bigger
sometimes), so screen real estate is not a consideration for me.

Nick

PS. One habit that I cannot break is writing down a telephone number
(particularly when listening to voice mail) without a name. Finding the
scrap of paper again after a few days is frustrating and yet I seem to
be unable to wean myself from the habit - calling the number to find out
who's on the other end has always seemed crass so I avoid it :-)

Footnotes:

[fn:1] Nowadays, the "six months" are more like "six weeks" or "six
days" and the older I get, the worse it gets...

--
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.