[O] function / way to get a global link to a file

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [O] function / way to get a global link to a file
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:44:38 -0500

Hi list,

Within my personal productivity system that I've implemented using org, I used a main heading like this:

* tags :one:two:three:...

I use this in order to match a reference org file to other data that I have throughout my system, and it works great when I want to find all related information with a specific tag from the CLI by using ack or grep. This helps keeping things more organic, in the sense that I don't have to think too much when capturing reference data (it can be a headline somewhere, or just a new org file in /refernece, important thing is that it has the proper semantics - i.e tags), but at the same time with enough structure to be useful. I could probably use another notation, but that's the one I chose first, and all my reference files have it.

A problem I'm having however is that everytime I go to such org files and try to get a link to this file using C l, it creates a link to * tags. I then have to hit enter so that it brakes and creates a blank line in the top.

Is there  a way to always force copying a link *to the file*, instead of org trying to create a link to an item inside the file?

Thanks,

- Marcelo.