Re: [O] idea, in-line preview link

From: peter . frings
Subject: Re: [O] idea, in-line preview link
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:02:19 +0200

Good day all,

On 05 Apr 2012, at 13:55, Christian Moe wrote:

> One of my first Lisp projects was a link type that behaves a bit like what
> you describe.
>
> I don't bother with placing the snippet inline, though, I just flash it as a
> message in the minibuffer. But I also leave it on the kill ring, so I can C-y
> it into my current buffer if I like.

From a UX pov, changing the clipboard/kill-ring behind the user’s back is a bad
thing to do, especially when the intention of the user action is only to have a
quick look at that link. Suppose org-mode copied a whole sub-tree when all you
did was to expand it... just in case you wanted to copy a piece of it.

In my opinion, it’s better to provide an explicit command to
copy/insert/open/... the content of that link.

Cheers,
Peter.