Re: [O] org-mime-htmlize: visual representation (thunderbird)

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] org-mime-htmlize: visual representation (thunderbird)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 00:23:54 -0400

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>>> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:38:12 -0400, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>    >>

>    > I'm not clear on how this differs from the messages produced using
>    > org-mime-htmlize, and it has been a while since I've looked into email
>    > mime mechanics.  However, since the emails generated using
>    > org-mime-htmlize display correctly in Gmail and in gnus I'm inclined to
>    > say that this is a Thunderbird issue and leave it for them to debug.
>
> I send a bug report to the Thunderbird developer and the
> answer was that *one* source of the problem is
>
> ,----
> | Here, the message has a multipart/mixed structure at the top
> | with "cid:" references to the image/png part which is inside
> | that structure (the text/html part is correctly in a
> | multipart/alternative but there is no multipart/related;
> | both images are in the multipart/mixed context). Also, the
> | images have a "Content-Disposition: attachment", both
> | reasons to show them as attachment as Thunderbird does it.
> |
> | Now it seems that Gmail completely ignores multipart/related
> | vs. mixed and simply takes the reference regardless of that
> | context, which would explain what you see. Strictly
> | speaking, the message is incorrectly formed. Please file a
> | bug with Emacs, the latexit structure appears to be correct.
> `----
>

> So how could "Content-Disposition: attachment" be changed to
> relevant piece of code.
>
> Thanks
>
> Uwe

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for sending along this helpful review.  I've just pushed two
changes to org-mime so that it now (1) wraps html and images in a
multipart/related mime structure and (2) marks images as "disposition
inline" so that they don't show up as attachments.

I can confirm this new version works in gnus and in the gmx webmail
client as expected, but I don't have access to Thunderbird to check the
behavior there.  Please let me know if this fixes the problem.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/