[O] changing behavioral for org-deadline-warning-days (was: Default prew

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] changing behavioral for org-deadline-warning-days (was: Default prewarning time for each deadline)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 12:29:09 +0200

* Michael Brand <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all

Hi!

> Karl on Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 22:31:
>> When I set org-deadline-warning-days to 0, I do not get warnings
>> even for DEADLINE strings containing a desired warning definition
>> like -3d :-(
>
> Manish on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 09:02:
>> My bad.  I should have read the docstring again before posting.  It
>> clearly states:
>>
>> "When 0 or negative, it means use this number (the absolute value of
>> it) even if a deadline has a different individual lead time
>> specified."
>
> Since at least Manish and me were surprised by 0 my suggestion is to
> use the yet unused nil for what 0 does now (never warn, even if
> deadline has an individual lead time) and 0 for what we expected (use
> 0 if deadline has no individual lead time). The change would break the
> customizations that already use 0.

I see.

Is there a policy regarding to changing behavioral of settings in
Org-mode?

In my personal opinion, changing the code to differ between «nil»
and «0» is not that bad. People might enjoy the additional
feature[1] which does not seem to be implemented so far.

> In the Org customization survey 0 was not used.
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html

Is there going to be another one? In 2009, I did not even use Emacs
and I'd happy to share my settings as well :-)

<just brainstorming>
Wouldn't it be nice to have a tool that scans for my settings,
compares it for changes/mentions in the changelogs and notifies me
upon matches? :-)
</just brainstorming>

[1] Allowing no warning for each timestamp without explizit warning
period *and/or* allowing warning for explizit warning periods within
timestamps.

--
Karl Voit