Re: [O] Org release 7.8.08 (BUGFIX-only release)

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Org release 7.8.08 (BUGFIX-only release)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 21:36:40 +0200

Bastien writes:
> Not sure I understand: the tag release_7.8.08 *is* on the server and was
> pushed from the maint branch (see http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git).

Git has two types of tags: lightweight, which really aren't much more
than a different way to mark the head of a tree without actually
creating a branch at that point.  The second kind is the annotated one,
which is more like a commit - it comes with a description like a commit,
just not with a change set.

> Do you mean I need to annotate it?  (I will do.)

Yes, from the git-tag man page:

  By default (without --all or --tags) git describe only shows annotated
  tags. For more information about creating annotated tags see the -a
  and -s options to git-tag(1).

This is a peculiar choice, but it makes much sense when considering that
release tags would almost always be annotated ones (they could carry the
changelog between releases for instance).  Now if you use only
lightweight tags for keeping track of various points in you Git history
by name, git describe will still pick up the release tags and not your
nilly-willy ones.

Regards,
Achim.