Re: [O] send org subtree as e-mail?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] send org subtree as e-mail?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 07:09:35 -0400

Peter Salazar <address@hidden> writes:

> I frequently compose e-mails as subtrees of my org files. I'd like to be
> able to e-mail the contents of these subtrees, maybe by first viewing the
> subtree in an indirect buffer.
>
> My org files look like this:
>
> * e-mails
>   ** note to person about blah
>      To: address@hidden
>      Subject: ADD people 7 times more likely to be creative
>      --text follows this line--
>
>      Dear Person,
>
>      Blah blah blah.
>
>      Best,
>      Peter
>
> I can open the subtree in an indirect buffer, but I can't e-mail the
> contents as they appear because I get "Invalid header line."
>
> If I delete the org-header, I can successfully send the e-mail. But then I
> need to undelete the header afterward.
>
> How can I send the contents of a subtree as an e-mail without first having
> to delete the header?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Checkout the `org-mime-subtree' subtree command.  It converts the
current subtree to an email, pulling email headers from subtree
properties, specifically

MAIL_SUBJECT or subtree heading -> subject
MAIL_TO -> TO
MAIL_CC -> CC
MAIL_BCC -> BCC
MAIL_FMT -> determines the format of the email (e.g., org, ascii or html)

so your example above would be

** note to person about blah
   :PROPERTIES:
   :MAIL_TO:  address@hidden
   :MAIL_SUBJECT: ADD people 7 times more likely to be creative
   :END:
   Dear Person,

   Blah blah blah.

   Best,