Re: [O] Problems with (defvar foo) and Emacs 23

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Problems with (defvar foo) and Emacs 23
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 22:16:17 +0200

Bernt Hansen writes:
> I can see the variable in the source defined as
>
> lisp/org-clock.el:(defvar org-clock-state) ;; dynamically scoped into this
> function
>
> but I don't get a variable definition with this code in emacs 23.2.1.

You aren't supposed to get one, as this should have been pulling in a
local variable defined elsewhere (from within another function).

> If I change the definition to
>
> (defvar org-clock-state nil)
>
> then it works for me.

Yes, but the bug introduced by renaming the variable is still there.
You do get a variable, but not the one you're supposed to be scoping.

> There are _lots_ of these types of definitions with no value in the
> org-mode source.

Again, the missing value is not the problem.  The problem arises when
the variable name in the caller and the callee becomes different.  I'll
let Bastien and Martyn sort that one out... :-)

Achim.