[O] orgmode as a service

From: Brian Dunbar
Subject: [O] orgmode as a service
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:39:54 +0000 (UTC)

I'm orgmode newbie.  Before I reinvent a wheel, going to ask if this has already
been done: 'orgmode as a service'.

Or perhaps it doesn't need to be done and I'm tilting at yet another windmill.

Comments welcome.

Assume a workgroup of people - they use emacs / orgmode.  Mostly Linux and OS X,
but there might be a weirdo or two still using Solaris.

They get TODOs from people who do -not- use emacs: managers, project managers,
Windows users, end users ... like that.

The input arrives (mostly) via email.  'Attend Meeting Foo at 08:00 p.m.' 'Fix
Bug umptyfratz this week'.

orgmode user manually inputs this data into emacs.

I had a few free minutes and thought 'there must be a better way': 20 minutes a
day to organize tasks * Y people on a team = a lot of wasted hours.

Is there a programatic method already coded up to take bits delivered to a
server, bang out the appropriate .org file and deliver it to the orgmode user?

Assume

data > address@hidden

orgmodeservice would be a daemon (perl, lisp, whatever) that mangles the data.

# data
user: address@hidden
what: Task - record new hit single
when: June 01, 2012

becomes
adele.org > adele's desktop

#adele.org
* TODO Record new hit single <2012-06-01 Fri>

Am I Don Quixote slaying phantom dragons?

Brian Dunbar
address@hidden