Re: [O] how to include graphics in pdf output

From: Christopher W. Ryan
Subject: Re: [O] how to include graphics in pdf output
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 22:59:06 -0400

Nick Dokos wrote:
Christopher W. Ryan<address@hidden>  wrote:

I've attached a small org file that reproduces my problem with getting
images to export to pdf. I've also attached the resulting .tex file.

I think my issue may have something to do with my misunderstanding of
inline tasks, since if I put my org code for inclusion of the image
elsewhere in the org file, under its own 2nd level heading (2 stars)
then it exports fine. The narrative text in the attached org file
explains my observations in more detail.

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{graphicx}

* I guess I don't understand enough about Org's hierarchical trees yet

** Study design

Here's what we'll do.

As patients of home care agencies, the subjects will all be considered
homebound by definition. Subjects with cognitive impairment or psychiatric
illness sufficiently severe to make them unable to consent to the study will
not be eligible.
****** TODO notice how "end" on next line is expandable
****** END
Somehow this text is under, hierarchically-speaking, the END statement of this
inline task.

So it does not show up in the final pdf

****** TODO there is text>>and the image file<<  inside "end"
****** END

Neither does this paragraph.

Neither does this image, which must also be under the END statement of the
inline task

#+CAPTION: Temperature and humidity data logger
#+LABEL:   datalogger
[[./DataLoggerImage.jpg]]

** But if I start a new 2-star heading

and put the image here, it works fine.

#+CAPTION: Temperature and humidity data logger
#+LABEL:   datalogger
[[./DataLoggerImage.jpg]]

What is the value of org-inlinetask-min-level? If it's the default 15,
then you just haven't formatted the inline tasks correctly (not enough
stars)- did you use C-c C-x t to insert them?  I used that to
insert the inline tasks and I got the following org file which exports
correctly afaict:

[...]

#+CAPTION: foo
#+LABEL:   foo
[[./DataLoggerImage.jpg]]

** But if I start a new 2-star heading

and put the image here, it works fine.

#+CAPTION: bar
#+LABEL:   bar
[[./DataLoggerImage.jpg]]

Nick

Well, I'm making some progress.

org-inlinetask-min-level = 15

I had previousl simply typed in an arbitrary number of stars by hand, for my inline tasks. If I use C-c C-x t to insert one, then figures and text subsequent to it do appear in the final pdf as desired. If I type in 15 stars by hand, emacs recognizes this also as an inline task (judging by the syntax highlighting) and figures following it are again exported correctly.

However, in both cases, the inline tasks themselves also appear in the final pdf. I was trying to avoid that, and I though todo:nil in #+OPTIONS would accomplish that objective, but it did not. Is there a way to not export inline tasks?

Here are the modifications to the small reproducible file I started with:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{graphicx}

* I guess I don't understand enough about Org's hierarchical trees yet

** Study design

Here's what we'll do.

Blah blah blah

*************** TODO I'd like this not to appear in pdf
*************** END
So now this text here appears in the pdf, as desired. But I'd like the inline task above not to appear in the pdf. I though todo:nil would prevent it from appearing, but it did not.

*************** TODO figure will follow this todo
*************** END
This line appears in the pdf too. Unfortunately, so does the inline task above it.

And the image shows up; its first appearance.

#+CAPTION: foo
#+LABEL:   foo
[[./DataLoggerImage.jpg]]

** But if I start a new 2-star heading

and put the image here, it works fine.  Second appearance of the image.

#+CAPTION: bar
#+LABEL:   bar
[[./DataLoggerImage.jpg]]

*************** TODO entered via C-c C-x t

************** TODO just 14 stars typed by hand, and a figure after
               this should be the third figure in the pdf
               figure doesn't appear, nor does this text

#+CAPTION: bar
#+LABEL:   bar
[[./DataLoggerImage.jpg]]

Thanks.