Re: [O] [DEV] New git workflow

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] New git workflow
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:27:14 +0100

Simon Thum <address@hidden> writes:
> as discussion started anyway, I'd like to mention that I see some
> problem with maint, that is, it only ever pertains to the latest
> release. It's hard to hotfix and release old versions in the proposed
> model.

IMHO, that was never the objective.

> Moreover, maint is bound quite tightly to master. maint seems like a
> somewhat safer master to me - I fail to see a big difference between
> them.

That's what it was designed to be, a way for people with (and more so
without) git access to access the latest bugfixes without the vagaries
of evolving new features.

> One may want to count that as a bonus; I don't. Part of the
> reason is that sometimes releases have commits that simply don't
> belong into master, like specific version increments.
>
> Many projects use the IMO more sane model of release branches (or
> maintenance branches, if you prefer) for major releases. Minor ones
> are tagged on those branches, and back-porting critical fixes is much
> cleaner: Fixes and development go to master, fixes which should be
> back-ported are cherry-picked onto the release branches. When desired,
> a new release is tagged. Releases only come from release branches, of
> course.

Sorry, but cherry-picking into multiple release branches would simply
not be a sane development model for a small project like orgmode.

> I guess a decision should mostly be based on how significant the use
> case "back-port fix" is to org-mode. The "safer master" role of maint
> could of course be retained in a stable branch which points to
> something like address@hidden month ago}.

Any point in the past is no safer than today's master.  The stability
that maint should provide to users is with regards to the feature set,
i.e. no gratuitous changes between releases.

Regards,
Achim.