[O] Too clumsy to promote/demote a region by multiple levels

From: James Harkins
Subject: [O] Too clumsy to promote/demote a region by multiple levels
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:40:22 +0800

Is there a reason why M-left and M-right (promote/demote tree headings)
deactivate the selected region?

That is, if I use C-space and move the point to select a number of headings,
and I want to demote them by three levels, currently after hitting M-right, the
region goes away -- so I actually have to do

C-space (move the point) M-right
C-space (move the point) M-right
C-space (move the point) M-right

But I would like to be able to do

C-space (move the point) M-right M-right M-right

Is this possible?

I know that if there is no freestanding text underneath the headings, I could
use C-x r t to add more *'s, but that breaks in a region where one or more
lines are not headings.

I tried (on a whim) C-u 3 M-right, but the universal argument is ignored here.

Thanks,
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world