Re: [O] Beamer specific setupfile?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Beamer specific setupfile?
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:09:43 -0500

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I use beamer a lot for work and decided to create a beamer-specific
>> setupfile to clean up my org files a bit. My files typically contain a
>> header like so:
>>
>> ---
>> #+latex_class: beamer
>> #+startup: beamer
>> #+latex_class_options: [presentation,bigger]
>> #+beamer_frame_level: 1
>> #+beamer_header_extra:
>> \usetheme[alternativetitlepage=true,titleline=true,titlepagelogo=../pics/pic.jpg]{Torino}
>> #+beamer_header_extra: \usecolortheme{freewilly}
>>
>> #+latex_header: \usepackage{tikz}
>> #+latex_header:
>> \usetikzlibrary{decorations,arrows,automata,positioning,backgrounds}
>>
>> #+latex_header: \usepackage{setspace}
>> #+latex_header: \setstretch{1.3}
>>
>> #+latex_header: \usepackage{lmodern}
>> #+latex_header: \usepackage{booktabs}
>> #+AUTHOR:    John Henderson
>> ---
>>
>> I tried inserting the above into a file called =beamer-setup.org= and
>> simply doing:
>> ---
>> #+setupfile: ~/org/aux/beamer-setup.org
>> ---
>>
>> This doesn't seem to work, however. My theme doesn't get picked up,
>> for example. If I put the contents into the file directly, I'm all
>> set. Any suggestions on why this might be the case?
>>

> C-c C-c on the setupfile line? The doc says
>
> ,----
> | `#+SETUPFILE: file'
> |      This line defines a file that holds more in-buffer setup.
> |      Normally this is entirely ignored.  Only when the buffer is parsed
> |      for option-setting lines (i.e. when starting Org mode for a file,
> |      when pressing `C-c C-c' in a settings line, or when exporting),
> |      then the contents of this file are parsed as if they had been
> |      included in the buffer.  In particular, the file can be any other
> |      Org mode file with internal setup.  You can visit the file the
> |      cursor is in the line with `C-c ''.
> `----
>
> and when I try the export, it fails to find "freewilly.sty" (no surprise
> there), which seems to show that the file *is* processed.

Yeah, I should have just posted an example with an included theme
instead of the one I usually use. I think I tracked it down. First, I
added =t= to the list of class options:
---
#+latex_class_options: [t,presentation,bigger]
---

I saw an effect on my frame alignment, which told me things were,
indeed, being read. It seems the issue was with using
#+beamer_header_extra. I don't know what that's supposed to be for,
but it isn't picking up the theme option. Actually... in searching for
what it's supposed to be used for, I ran across a mailing list post of
the same problem:
-- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-09/msg01011.html

Indeed, ditching beamer_header_extra for the theme setting and just
using #+latex_header... works.

Thoughts on fixing this?

John