[O] org-mode as an accountability system?

From: Peter Salazar
Subject: [O] org-mode as an accountability system?
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 13:22:37 -0500

I have an accountability partner with whom I exchange daily "committed actions." Every morning, I e-mail him a list of the tasks I commit to completing that day.

When I complete a task, I mark it DONE. If I don't complete a task that day, I mark it @didnotdo and manually cut and paste it to the next day.

Every night, I send him a report of which actions I did and which ones I did not do. (I find I get so much more done since I started making daily commitments to someone other than myself.)

My committed actions for a day consist of:

a) TODOs for the projects I'm working on
b) random errands that need to be done that day
c) daily habits (e.g. meditating, exercising)

I don't believe org-agenda can support me in doing this, because I require:

a) a way to quickly enter the random tasks for that day (without having to "schedule" each one for today)
b) more importantly: a way to record, store, and e-mail my list of which tasks I've done and not done at the end of the night

So instead I've been creating a list of TODOs for each day manually.

My questions:

1. Given that I'm creating my daily task list manually, is there an easy way, when I mark a task @didnotdo, to automatically move it to the next day's list and change its state to @todo?
2. I'd still like to be able to create outlines for my documents and add TODO items inline as I think of them. Is there a way to get org to gather these scattered TODOs and place them in my manually-created daily TODO list, rather than in the agenda?

Macro question: Is there a better way to manage my accountability system, rather than doing it manually? Again, I don't see a way to do it using agenda.

Thanks for any help.

Peter

P.S. If it's helpful, here's a typical list I might send my accountability partner in the morning:

<2012-02-16 Thu>

* habits
** @todo - morning practice [0/3]
- [ ] e-mail committed actions
- [ ] stretch for 10 minutes
- [ ] meditate
** @todo - evening practice [0/2]
- [ ] sit-ups
- [ ] e-mail report assessing day's committed actions
* committed actions
** teaching
*** current semester
**** @todo - e-mail students [0/2]
***** @todo - e-mail Liz
***** @todo - e-mail Jean
**** @todo - appointment with Claire 4pm
*** next semester
**** finish proposal
***** @todo - send proposal to editor
***** @todo - write syllabus
** random tasks
*** @todo - renew prescriptions
*** @todo - clean room
*** @todo - go over Nicole notes
*** @todo - call Andy
*** @todo - jog with Heidi 3pm

A typical report at the end of the night might look like this:

<2012-02-16 Thu>

* habits
** DONE - morning practice [3/3]
- [X] e-mail committed actions
- [X] stretch for 10 minutes
- [X] meditate
** @todo - evening practice [1/2]
- [ ] sit-ups
- [X] e-mail report assessing day's committed actions
* committed actions
** teaching
*** current semester
**** @todo - e-mail students [2/2]