Re: [O] Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:42:06 +0530

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> "Git merge tool for Org files"
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-08/msg00601.html
>>

> Interesting, along these lines, I know git is able to use custom diffs
> (e.g., there exist sentence rather than line-based diffs for writing
> prose).  I wonder if an outline diff would be useful, so that
> re-ordering subtrees in an Org-mode file was represented as a single
> operation rather than many un-related deletions and insertions.

Caveat: I know practically nothing - technically - about the project
being discussed. I am commenting here as a lay user.

Sometime back while looking at change tracking within OpenDocument
files, I stumbled upon the following two entries.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Track_changes#Google_Summer_of_Code_2009:_Improve_Writer.27s_compare_function

http://gsoc-tzvetelina.blogspot.in/

In the above blog, the author is talking about paragraphs as a unit and
makes a note of the algorithms he uses to narrow down the paragraphs of
interest. I think in Org's context, outline could (also) be considered
as a unit.