Re: [O] mlorg : yet another parser for org-mode (Written in OCaml contai

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] mlorg : yet another parser for org-mode (Written in OCaml contained in org-mode files)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:52:48 -0700

Simon Castellan <address@hidden> writes:

> On lun. 27/févr. (15:27), Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> On 26 févr. 2012, at 17:41, Simon Castellan wrote:
>>
>> > I have been writing a parser for mlorg files in OCaml. This started as an
>> > experiment to see if the literate programming mode of org-mode could scale
>> > to a
>> > full application (among other things).
>>
>> This looks very interesting, and would very much help in the
>> dissemination of org-mode. Have you thought of announcing it on the
>> caml mailing list?
>>
>> Alan
>
> I have but prefer to wait mlorg to be more complete. This post was meant
> mainly
> to gather info/document about org's syntax. (But as I said feedbacks welcome.)

Hi Simon,

Nicolas Goaziou has been working recently on a new emacs-lisp parser of
Org-mode files, with the goals of
1. standardizing the formal syntax of Org-mode files
2. parsing Org-mode files to a canonical emacs-lisp list-based
   representation in memory (like an Org-mode AST)
3. re-basing the existing Org-mode exporters off of this canonical
   representation

This work is contained in contrib/lisp/org-element.el, which includes a
large amount of useful commentary at the top of the file.  This should
serve as a starting point for learning more about the formal syntax of
Org-mode files (as it is defined).  I think that developing parsers for
this syntax in multiple language should be very useful to ensure that a
usable syntax is developed separate from any particular implementation.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/