Re: [O] Org publish restrict to certain levels

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Org publish restrict to certain levels
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:35:24 -0500

Xin Shi <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a relatively long and detailed document maintained in org but
> only won't to publish into LaTeX to the first 3 levels, because the
> rest of the levels are too many details. If I use COMMENT into every
> of them, looks very cumbersome. I'm wondering if there is any in-file
> config to enable this.

I thought it could be done through a combination of settings: an infile
setting of H:3 (or thereabouts) and a BIND setting of
org-export-latex-low-levels to
nil.

C-h v org-export-latex-low-levels RET says:

,----
| org-export-latex-low-levels is a variable defined in `org-latex.el'.
| Its value is itemize
|
| Documentation:
| How to convert sections below the current level of sectioning.
| This is specified by the `org-export-headline-levels' option or the
| value of "H:" in Org's #+OPTION line.
|
| This can be either nil (skip the sections), `description', `itemize',  <<<<<
the doc says it can be nil to skip them
| or `enumerate' (convert the sections as the corresponding list type), or
| a string to be used instead of \section{%s}.  In this latter case,
| the %s stands here for the inserted headline and is mandatory.
|
| It may also be a list of three string to define a user-defined environment
| that should be used.  The first string should be the like
| "\begin{itemize}", the second should be like "\item %s %s" with up
| to two occurrences of %s for the title and a label, respectively.  The third
| string should be like "\end{itemize".
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Unfortunately, there is a bug in org-latex.el, in org-export-latex-subcontent

,----
|           ((listp org-export-latex-low-levels)
|            (if (string-match "% ends low level$"
|                              (buffer-substring (point-at-bol 0) (point)))
|                (delete-region (point-at-bol 0) (point))
|              (insert (car org-export-latex-low-levels) "\n"))     ;;;; <<<<
org-export-latex-low-levels cannot be nil here: car will blow up
|            (insert (format (nth 2 org-export-latex-low-levels)    ;;;; <<<<
or here: format will blow up
|                            heading
|                            (if label (format "\\label{%s}" label) "")))
|            (insert (org-export-latex-content content))
|            (cond ((stringp subcontent) (insert subcontent))
|                  ((listp subcontent) (org-export-latex-sub subcontent)))
|            (insert (nth 1 org-export-latex-low-levels)
|                    " %% ends low level\n"))

`----

Nick