Re: [O] Temp files from testing are permanent...

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Temp files from testing are permanent...
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:46:35 -0700

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen <address@hidden> writes:
>> Successful tests can clean up after themselves but failed tests should
>> not so you can debug.  The decision to remove these files should be left
>> to whoever runs the test suite.  That implies that even successful tests
>> don't really have to bother cleaning up after themselves.
>
> As hinted at in another post yesterday, I did browse the test suite code
> briefly.  The tests try to clean up after themselves, sort-of

Sorry to come late to this discussion.  The tests should clean up all
temporary files and buffers left during their execution.  There has been
some work on this in the last month or two so hopefully the situation
has improved.

> — the trouble is that they leave tangled files and results produced
> during suceesful tests.

It will be up to the authors of individual tests to remove tangled and
exported files.  Ideally we can patch each test to clean up after
itself.  Perhaps we should provide a test macro which accepts a list of
file names and optionally removes them if the test exists successfully.
e.g.,

(org-test-with-cleanup '("exported.html" "tangled.sh" etc...)
  ...test body...)

>> If you use `make check` to run the test suite, you can easily set TMPDIR
>> via the TESTS_ENVIRONMENT Makefile variable (assuming that that variable
>> is taken into account when making unique file names).  Something like
>
> Yes, that's about the same conclusion I also reached.  Not sure when
> I'll have time to implement and test it.

Even if the above is implemented this sounds like a good safeguard.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/