Re: [O] Controlling pagination on headings in Latex/PDF export?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Controlling pagination on headings in Latex/PDF export?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:20:54 -0500

Jos'h Fuller <Jos'address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm have an org-mode document something like this:
>
> * Period 2012-02-06 to 2012-02-12
> ** Asset
> *** DEPARTMENT
>     | Data        | Data | Data | Data |
>     |-------------+------+------+------|
>     |      XXXXXX |    1 |    1 |    0 |
>     |      YYYYYY |    5 |    4 |    0 |
>
> (There are more "Assets", each with several DEPARTMENTS. The tables are
> short, perhaps 10-15 rows.)
>
> When I go to export a PDF, I will often get "DEPARTMENT" at the bottom of one
> page, with the actual data table at the start of the next. Is there any way
> to keep the heading together with the table?

Try adding

#+LATEX: \newpage

before the heading where you want the page break to occur:

Period 2012-02-06 to 2012-02-12
** Asset
#+LATEX: \newpage
*** DEPARTMENT
    | Data        | Data | Data | Data |
    |-------------+------+------+------|
    |      XXXXXX |    1 |    1 |    0 |
    |      YYYYYY |    5 |    4 |    0 |

You should probably do that as a last resort in the last editing
round, just to fix problematic spots.

> I tried using the longtable environment, but that just splits the
> table itself, so that I might have the heading at the bottom of the
> page with one row of the table and a continued message. I also tried
> the LaTeX directives \goodbreak before the headings and \nobreak
> between the headings and tables but they didn't seem to affect
> anything.

IIRC, these influence LaTeX's internal measures of whether this is a
good or bad place to do it, but there are several factors in competition
and they probably lose in comparison to the other factors.

\newpage otoh is Thor's hammer: no questions asked.

Nick